This recipe has been passed on for traditions, and is a warm and toasty addition to a cool fall or winter’s day. It is 100% vegetarian and vegan—but your meat lovers won’t know anything is missing. Serve with toasted pita & lemon wedges on top.
Prep & Cook Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 4-6 (depending on who wants seconds…)
1 cup brown lentils
1 cup red lentils
2 large onions, cut into half moon slices
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2-3 teaspoons cumin
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Toasted pita, for serving
Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Cook lentils according to package directions. Reserve excess water that may be left over after lentils are cooked.
2. While cooking lentils, begin sautéing onions on low-medium heat with olive oil. Continue to stir every few minutes for approximately 30 minutes until onions are browned. A secret to lentil soup success are nice, labored over caramelized onions.
3. Add lentils along with excess water (around 1-1.5 cups—if no water was left over, use fresh water) to blender. Add caramelized onions along with any remaining olive oil in pan to blender as well. Blend for about 45 seconds, taking care not to over blend.
4. Return mixture to pan. It may be thick, so feel free to add more water to thin it out to desired consistency. Add cinnamon, desired amount of cumin, and salt & pepper to taste.
5. Serve with toasted pita and lemon wedges.
And sahtein—or deux healths!