If you’re looking for a fresh and citrusy salad that just so happens to be 100% vegan, look no more. Eetch, a hearty Middle Eastern salad will bring so much light to your weeknight meal you won’t even know how to deal with it! Serve on a thin bed of lettuce along with a crunchy pickle for best results ;).
1 large onion
3 large tomatoes, diced
1.5 cups bulgur #1 (the finest bulgur available), soaked in water
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon mild pepper paste
1/4 cup olive oil
2 bunches parsley, finely chopped
Juice of one lemon
½ teaspoon cumin
salt to taste
Lettuce of choice, for serving
- Soak 1 cup bulgur in water. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over low-medium heat. Cook until onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and cover for 20 minutes.
- Drain soaked bulgur and add to skillet. Add tomato paste, pepper paste, and salt & stir well.
- Add remaining ½ cup of bulgur to skillet and reduce heat to a simmer, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from heat; ensuring all juice is soaked up. If not, return to a simmer until done.
- Add lemon juice & cumin. Allow to cool and add chopped parsley.
Can be enjoyed warm, cold, or at room temperature. The longer the flavors marinate, the more flavorful the dish.
And sahtein—or deux healths!