Inspired by the Backyard Steak salad from Tender Greens, this fit foodie twist incorporates a honey Dijon vinaigrette, heart-healthy avocado and lycopene rich red carrots. The only thing you’ll be gaining with our version is an extra few dollars in your pocket and a home-cooked meal!
Steak & Marinade
1 pound flap steak, cut into 3 pieces
1 shallot, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 head butter lettuce
1.5 cups arugula
2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
1 red carrot, medium diced
1 avocado, cut into 1-inch cubes
Honey Dijon Viniagrette
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
- Mix shallot and next 4 ingredients in a bowl. Place steak in a Ziploc bag and add marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat cast iron skillet in oven at 400 degrees.
- Mix butter lettuce, arugula, chives, and carrot together and divide among 3 plates. Top each plate with a serving of cubed avocado.
- Place filets on cast iron skillet for 3 minutes. Remove from oven (carefully!), flip to other side, and continue to cook for 3 minutes. For well-done steaks, cook up to 4 minutes on each side (any more is a crime—don’t do that to your poor steak). Remove from skillet and allow steak to rest.
- While the steak rests, prepare the vinaigrette. Add the mustard, rice vinegar, EVOO & honey to a bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Cut each piece of steak into strips 3-4 pieces and serve on top of salad mixture. Top each plate with vinaigrette and serve.
And sahtein—or deux healths!