Okay, it’s not summer yet–but ah, how refreshing this salad is on those warm summer days. This classically Syrian dish has been put to the taste test through many generations in our family and is ready in a flash. Fun for the kids and beautiful for the adults, you may come back either to thank us or to scold us for your new found addiction!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2-3, depending on your appetite…
6 ounces Syrian cheese- you may find this here or at your local Mediterranean market. If this is unavailable, substitute with Queso Blanco.
2 cups watermelon
8 mint leaves
8 basil leaves
small handful of blueberries
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
Variety of whole grain crackers, baguette, or pita for serving
- Cut cheese into 2-inch square cubes. Cut watermelon into 2 inch-square cubes as well, taking care to make them look similar in shape and size to the cheese.
- Place cheese & watermelon on a square serving dish, and alternate them in a zig-zag fashion as shown.
- Top with mint leaves, basil leaves, and blueberries.
- Drizzle olive oil on top, and serve pomegranate molasses in a small dish on the side for those who wish to have some along with this fun treat.
- Serve along with whole-grain crackers, baguette, or pita.
And sahtein–or deux healths!
One thought on “Summer Syrian Cheese & Watermelon Salad”