What could be better than a grown-up, sophisticated grilled cheese & tomato soup? This tomato basil soup takes its traditional counterpart to a whole new level by roasting tomatoes along with balsamic vinegar, honey, and pomegranate molasses to achieve roasted tomato perfection. Combined with a crisp open-faced tomato, basil, and mozzarella sandwich, this meal is sure to satisfy the inner kid in you while keeping you refined and tasteful.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Prep & cook time: 1 hour
2 thirty-five ounce cans Cento Organic Whole Peeled Tomatoes, or any organic Italian tomato variety
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 white onion, finely chopped
6 cups low-sodium chicken stock (be sure it is free of MSG, or make your own)!
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup loosely packed basil + more for garnish, sliced into a chiffonade
½ cup milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain tomatoes. Place tomatoes on a roasting pan along with balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 teaspoon salt. Place in oven and allow to roast for 30 minutes.
- When roasted tomatoes are about finished, add 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onions, shallots and crushed garlic to saucepan and allow to become aromatic, stirring constantly for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chicken stock to saucepan and allow mixture to boil on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Add pomegranate molasses and salt & pepper, to taste. Allow to simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add soup to blender along with basil and puree for 1 minute. Alternatively, you may use an immersion blender but note consistency may not be as smooth.
- Return soup pack to saucepan and stir in milk. Top with additional basil and serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Open-Faced Rustic Caprese Sandwich
Prep & Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
6 slices Rustic wheat baguette
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces fresh mozzarella, or 12 slices mozzarella cheese
18 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
½ cup loosely packed basil, sliced into a chiffonade
- Heat grill pan on stove on medium high.
- Distribute olive oil evenly among baguette slices.
- Place baguette slices on grill pan, evoo side down. Grill for approximately 3 minutes or until grill marks appear.
- Add 2 ounces of fresh mozzarella or 2 slices mozzarella cheese to each baguette. Top with several tomato quarters & sliced basil.
- Broil baguette on low for 3-5 minutes, depending on oven strength (take care not to burn)!
And sahtein—or deux healths!