Cucumber is one of our favorite veggies here at DeuxFitFoodies. Refreshing for the summertime and a wonderful base for appetizers, those little guys are more versatile than a snuggie. Given that most appetizers of our native land are less than light, these two cuke-based apps will be a breath of fresh air for you, your family & your guests. Labne, a Middle-Eastern version of cream cheese (that’s packed with probiotics) serves as a base for our first recipe while avocado crème is the star of the second finger food we have for you this week. Eat up & enjoy!
1 english cucumber, cut into 1-1.5 inch thick slices
1/2 cup kefir cheese, or labne
1/2 teaspoon dried mint
6 cherry tomatoes, quartered and very slightly salted
10-12 individual leaves basil
Handful of kalamata or green olives, quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Use a melon baller or spoon to scoop the inside off of part of each cucumber slice.
- Mix labne & dried mint together. Place mixture in a ziploc bag and cut off one corner to yield a poor mans pastry bag (that works even better than a real one)! Squeeze a glob of labne into each cucumber.
- Top with tomato, basil, and olive. Top off with a drizzle of olive oil & serve.
1 english cucumber
1/2 cob of corn, cooke & kernels removed like so
1 large carrot, julianned into thin, 2 inch-long pieces
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Thinly slice english cucumber as pictured. This can be easily achieved using our favorite peeler in the world. Place cucumbers on paper towels to allow to dry.
- Mash avocado along with lime juice, salt, pepper, and cilantro.
- Assembly time! Lay cucumber down and add a layer of avocado-lime crème, followed by a sprinkle of corn & carrots. Grab on to one end of the cucumber and roll. Close with a toothpick & serve.
And sahtein–or deux healths!